In the state of Jammu and Kashmir there is a beautiful hill station called Gulmarg which according to CNN is considered to be the heartland of winter sports in India. It is also ranked seventh amongst the best skiing destinations in Asia. As a result of which Gulmarg is a popular tourist destination in India. However, there are many other reasons that make this scenic hill station a must visit for travellers/tourists.
And so the five reasons why you should visit this Gulmarg hill station are as follows
- Gulmarg Gondala: Is considered to be the world’s second highest operating cable car located at an altitude of 3,979 above sea level. It was built by a French company. There exist two stage ropeways that carry about 600 people per hour from Gulmarg to Mount Apharwat Summit located at about 4200 meters above sea level. A gondola can carry six people at a time. The timings for the gondola ride begins from 10 am IST to 5 pm IST. The gondola ride consists of two stages i.e. first stage being Gulmarg station to Koongdoori station and second stage being from Koongdoori to Afarwat Peak. With the cost for a gondola ride being 700 Indian Rupees i.e. 11 dollars for the first stage and, 900 Indian Rupees i.e. 15 dollars for the second stage.
- Gulmarg Golf Course: Is a beautiful golf course located at an altitude of 2,650 meters. This golf course differs from most other courses in terms of its land slopes and inclines. It also consists of 72 holes. The Gulmarg Golf Club was started by the British in 1911 and was mainly used as a holiday resort. This golf course remains covered under snow from December to April.
- Skiing: Is a popular adventure sport in Gulmarg. This hill station is the ideal ski resort that one can find in the country. The landscapes that include natural slopes and inclines make this hill station an absolute “Skiers Paradise”.
- Ningle Nallah: Is a scenic stream located in this hill station that flows from the mountains. It is known for its tranquil atmosphere and as a result is a major tourist attraction in this area.
- Ferozepur Nallah: Is a stream that flows through Chinamarg and Nurpur Pass. It is an ideal picnic spot. Additionally, skiing can be undertaken on the mountain slopes surrounding this beautiful stream. It also serves as an ideal spot for camping.