Once the “Summer Capital of British India” Shimla in Himachal Pradesh is a popular tourist destination. This scenic city is not only known for its tranquillity but also for its wonderful climatic conditions. Located at an altitude of 2,205 meters above sea level this city is surrounded by the magnificent Himalayas. Now apart from scenic beauty and beautiful climate there are a number of other reasons is why Shimla must be visited.
The 5 Reasons For Visiting Shimla why you must visit this beautiful city are as follows.
- The Mall: Is located on Shimla’s main street which is famous for the Christ Church and the markets that operate from vintage colonial buildings. It is also a perfect site for sightseeing.
- Observatory Hill: Is an isolated hill in Shimla. This hill is home to this city’s finest piece of architecture in the form of “The Viceregal Lodge”. This lodge is now home to the Institute of Advanced Studies. This hill is also surrounded by rare species of flora and fauna. Additionally, the magnificent view of the frosty mountain peaks kissed by the sun’s rays can be witnessed from this spot.
- Jakhoo Hill: Is supposedly Shimla’s highest point which towers over a ridge. There is a Hanuman Temple located at the top of this scenic hill. This hill also provides magnificent views of the sunset especially during monsoons. The red Hanuman statue built in front of the temple is distinctly visible from the Mall and the Ridge.
- Lakkar Bazaar: Is a famous bustling market in Shimla. This market is famous for shops selling woodwork and some wonderful souvenirs.
- Kalka Train: Which operates along the Kalka-Shimla Railway line which was built by the British is a UNESCO declared world heritage site. The journey between Kalka to Shimla taking six hours. This train journey is also a major tourist attraction in this city.