Auli a beautiful hill station located in the Himalayan Mountains in Uttarakhand in the Garhwali language is also called “AuliBugyal”. This hill station is located at an altitude of 2500 to 3050 above sea level. It is known for its beautiful natural beauty and for its ski resorts. This is a major reason why Auli is a popular destination for skiing. This region is also known for its beautiful oak fringed slopes and dense forests. According to folklore, this hill station is supposed to have been blessed by Adi Sankaracharya when he visited during the 8th century. So if you want to truly enjoy natural beauty or you are a passionate skiing enthusiast then “Auli” is a destination that you need to visit.
How to reach?
The closest railway station to Auli is in Haridwar. The Haridwar Railway Station is well linked to many of the major and cities in country. A number of bus and taxi services are also from Haridwar Railway Station to Auli.
A number of bus and taxi services are available from major places in the state of Uttarakhand such as Rishikesh, Pauri, Rudraprayag, Karnaprayag, Chamolietc to Auli.
The Jolly Grant Airport in Dehradun is the closest airport to Auli. This airport is well linked to many of the major cities and towns in the country.
Climate and the best time to visit Auli
“Pleasant summers and freezing winters” is how the climate of Auli can best be described as. The temperature during the summer months that begins in March and ends in June ranges on an average is about 15 degrees. The rainfall received during the monsoons which begins in June and ends in October is abundant and during this season the mercury drops to about 12 degrees. While the temperature during winters that begins in November and ends in February is severe and ranges from 4 degrees to -8 degrees. The ideal time to visit is from November to March.
Things to do
- Auli artificial lake: Is a beautiful lake located at a high altitude. The water of this lake is used to feed the snows guns situated along the ski slopes so as to provide for a good surface for skiing.
- GorsonBugyal: Is a large land consisting of green meadows located at an altitude of 3056 meters. This region is surrounded by beautiful dense forests and oak trees.
- Chattrakund: Is a small lake of sweet crystal clear water located near Auli in Joshimath. It is located at an altitude of around 3300 meters above sea level. This region is surrounded by dense forests. It is also known as a “honeymooners and trekkers” spot.
- KwaniBugyal: Is a renowned meadow known for the picturesque beauty of the Himalayas in the background. This region is also a “trekker’s paradise”.
- Kuari Pass: Offers some breath taking views of the magnificent Himalayas. This pass allows for beautiful views of peaks such as Nanda Ghunti, HathiGhoda Parbat, Neelkanth etc.