Western Ghats also known as “Sahyadri” is a famous mountain range in India that runs parallel to the western coast of the country. Now this mountain range is popular for its biological diversity and hill stations. There are a number of hill stations that are located in this region.
The top ten hill stations on the Western Ghats are as follows
- Mahabaleshwar: Is a beautiful hill station located at an altitude of 1,372 meters above sea level. It is known for its spectacular views and beautiful evergreen forests. During the British Raj this scenic hill station also served as a summer capital of the then Bombay Province. Additionally, this hill station is also historically significant with the Maratha Emperor Shivaji having built a fort called “Pratapgad”. This fort is a major tourist attraction in this hill station.
- Panchgani: Is a scenic hill station that was first discovered by an English superintendent named John Chesson in 1860’s. This hill station is famous for its natural beauty and for its exotic flora that includes silver oak and poinsettia. It is also popular for some highly reputed educational institutions.
- Matheran: Is a beautiful hill station located in Maharashtra that was first discovered by Hugh Poyntz Malet, the district collector of Thane. It is known for its scenic beauty and exotic wildlife that includes the likes of leopard, barking deer, fox, wild boar etc. It is also popular weekend getaway for people living in cities like Mumbai and Pune.
- Lonavala: Famous for a form of candy called “Chikki” is a beautiful hill station that is located in Maharashtra in Pune district. It is very popular for its scenic beauty and cool climate. This hill station is very popular during monsoon season with a large number of tourists visiting this region during this period.
- Khandala: Is yet another popular hill station located in close proximity to Lonavala. It is located on the Bhor Ghat at an altitude of 550 meters above sea level. It is known for its scenic evergreen hills, charming valleys, and beautiful lakes. This region is also historically significant and has witnessed the rise and fall of great dynasties such as the Marathas.
- Ootacamund: Or popularly known as Ooty is a beautiful hill station. This hill station is elevated at an altitude of 2,240 meters above sea level. It is popular for its picturesque landscapes and exotic vegetation that includes trees, eucalyptus trees, lush green tea plantations etc.
- Kodaikanal: Is a scenic hill station located in the Dindigul district in Tamil Nadu. It is popular for its tranquil atmosphere and scenic beauty. It is also popular for beautiful waterfalls and a wide range in flora and fauna.
- Munnar: Located in the Idukki district in Kerala is a hill station that is popular for its natural beauty. It is popular for vast stretches of tea plantations, mountains, valleys, stream lanes, trekking spots, exotic flowers etc.
- Malsej Ghat: Is a mountain pass that is located in the Pune district in Maharashtra at an altitude of 700 meters above sea level. It is renowned for beautiful waterfalls and the magnificent view of the green valley covered with fog. It is also a perfect spot for adventure lovers such as trekkers and bikers.
- Wayanad: Is a scenic hill station located in Kerala at an altitude of 700 to 2100 meters above sea level. This hill station is popular for its rich biodiversity that includes towering peaks, lush green forests etc. It is also renowned for a wide range of exotic flowers.
All one can say in conclusion is that all these hill stations are worth a visit. So the choice definitely lies with you.